Cary is a thriving community in the heart of the Triangle area of North Carolina, between Raleigh and renowned Research Triangle Park. The Triangle area repeatedly has ranked among the top regions in the country to live or work, to find a home or start a business, to raise a family or retire.
- #3 Among Best U.S. Cities for College Students - Mid-Size Metros (Raleigh-Cary) - American Institute for Economic Research, October 2014
- #8 Among America's 50 Best Cities to Live (Cary) - 24/7 Wall St., September 2014
- Lowest Total Crime Rate in United States (Cary) – FBI, January 2014
- #3 Best Mid-Sized City to Move to – Movato, 2014
- #2 Best City for Early Retirement – Kiplinger, 2014
- #5 Mid-Sized College City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – American Institute for Economic Development
- Best High School’s in America (Green Hope, Cary) – US News, 2014
- #1 Best Place to Walk a Dog (Cary Greenways, Cary) – Dogwalkers of America
- #2 Fastest Growing Metro through 2020 (Raleigh-Cary) – US Metro Economics
- “Best Place to work in the Triangle” (SAS) – The Independent Weekly, 2014
- #8 for Cities Creating Information Jobs (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, 2014
- #1 Best City for Raising a Family (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, 2014
- #9 of 10 Most Affordable Places in North Carolina (Town of Cary) – Movato, 2014
- #24 of 50 places with Greatest Income Equality (Cary) – NerdWallet Finance, 2014
- #1 Best Large Metro for Home Ownership (Raleigh-Cary) – NerdWallet, 2014
Cary embraces the best of city life:
Our sense of security - Cary continually ranks as one of the top 20 safest large cities nationally and the safest in the Southeast. Its Police and Fire departments and Emergency Medical Services are nationally accredited.
Livability - Tree-lined streets and well-groomed subdivisions and office parks show Cary has grown the right way.
Vibrancy - Cary is home to world class businesses and national retail stores. Our fast-growing Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources program has something for everyone, regardless of age or interest.
Diversity - School-age children comprise nearly a quarter of Cary's population. Yet people of retirement age are the fastest-growing group in Cary. Fourteen percent of townspeople were born in another country, and the Asian population - Cary's largest minority - tripled during the 1990s.
A progressive approach to challenge - Cary is proactive. We're conserving drinking water by reclaiming treated waste water for irrigation and industrial processes; we're preserving open space; we're integrating sustainability into all that we do; and and working with citizens and county leaders to make our schools even better. - Cary Chamber of Commerce, www.carychamber.com
Population: 152,576 (March 2015) Median age: 33.7 years (2000 Census)
Caryites are a hard-working group with one of the highest median household incomes in the state. And being no further than 20 minutes from major universities such as Duke, North Carolina State, and the University of North Carolina, it's no wonder that education is an important part of Cary life. More than two-thirds of adults hold a college degree. About 97 percent of citizens have access to the Internet in this, the Technology Town of North Carolina.
The Weather Center registers the Cary area’s average temperature in January as 51ºF / 30ºF and in July 90ºF/ 69ºF.